TorqueTrak TPM2 - Common Topics
A) FEATURES & BENEFITS:
The TorqueTrak TPM2 - Torque and Power Monitoring System is a rugged precision instrument designed for applications where ongoing measurement of true mechanical torque and/or power on a rotating shaft is required. Transfer of supply power and measurement data between stationary and rotating parts is done through non-contact inductive coupling, so there are no wear surfaces. Everything mounts externally. Shaft modification and machine disassembly are not required. The all-digital design is inherently immune to noise. The RS422 serial data output signal is ideal for long distance error free data transmission from the instrument to the data processing and display equipment. Setup and Calibration are accomplished using the Binsfeld software on your computer.
B) SHAFT DIAMETER:
The TorqueTrak TPM2 instrument can be manufactured to fit any shaft diameter from 0.75 inch (19 mm) to 48 inches (1219 mm). Please specify the exact shaft diameter at the time of order. Pricing varies depending on shaft diameter.
C) INSTALLATION, Main Concerns:
WARNING: DO NOT USE this TorqueTrak TPM2 instrument as a safety or emergency stop device or in any application where failure of the product could result in personal injury. Failure to comply with these instructions could result in death or serious injury.
On this and all topics, please see the TorqueTrak TPM2 User’s Guide for detailed instructions.
- A shield or guard is recommended in applications where something or someone could come in contact with the rotating parts of the system.
- Keep adjacent metal a minimum of 2 inches (50 mm) away from stationary and rotating coil boards.
- Make sure the gap between stationary coil and rotating coil boards is 0.60 inch (15 mm), nominally.
- The Rotating Collar must be installed on a smooth, clean area of the shaft.
- Do not mount the rotating collar directly over the strain gage.
- For the rotating collar bolts and nuts, use the supplied thread lubricant and threadlock (Loctite 242) as indicated.
- Install the rotating collar assembly with the ring surface on which the transmitter is mounted, nearest to the stationary ring.
- The stationary interface enclosure (control box) is sealed against splashing water, etc., once the mating connectors/cables are attached. If sealing of the rotating collar is desired, the protection must be done at the time of installation.
- The stationary interface enclosure requires a user furnished mounting bracket to hold it securely in place.
- The stationary interface enclosure is supplied with a standard 10 ft (3 m) power cable terminated at one end with a rugged metal sealed circular 3 pin connector. The other end is un-terminated and must be connected by the user to a 24 VDC regulated power supply (a range from 10 to 30 VDC is acceptable) with a maximum current of 2 amps and typical operating current of 0.5 amps.
D) POWER SUPPLY:
24 VDC regulated power supply.
Range from 10 to 30 VDC is acceptable.
Maximum current of 2 amps and typical operating current of 0.5 amps.
E) STRAIN GAGE - Torque Pattern:
Part # CEA-06-250US-350pdf:
The Sensor Input to the TorqueTrak TPM2 system is typically a torque-pattern strain gage bonded to the shaft. A strain gage is an inherently precise measurement device easily capable of resolving one part in a million or more. Strain Gage Installation Instructions & Diagram.
F) PROTECTIVE COATING for strain gage:
Part # M-Coat JApdf:
1 mixing dispenser (70 g ea.) A two-part polysulfide liquid polymer compound for environmental protection of strain gage installations. When fully cured, it forms a rubber-like covering that provides an effective barrier against water and many other fluids. The tough coating also protects installations from mechanical damage.
G) Data processing
The TorqueTrak TPM2 output data is provided in a digital RS422 output:
Data Acquisition – We recommend data acquisition hardware and software provided by our partner, OpDAQ Systems, Inc. These data acquisition products are designed specifically for TorqueTrak TPM2 applications and can be customized for your particular application.
OpDAQ Systems, Product Information: Op-Torq System for TT TPM2, User's Manualpdf The Op-Torq system is a specialized data acquisition system powered by LabVIEW for processing measurement data from the TorqueTrak TPM2 instrument and RPM pick-up.